One man can be a crucial ingredient on a team, but one man cannot make a team. —Kareem Abdul-Jabbar, Retired NBA Basketball player
Many times, “collaboration” is used when “compliance” is the expectation. To conform or comply, the expectation is “do as I say”. To collaborate, the expectation is “let’s work together for the best result.”
Teamwork is often a crucial part of an organization, as it is often necessary for colleagues to work well together; trying their best in any circumstance. Teamwork means that people cooperate using their individual skills and provide constructive feedback, despite any personal conflict between individuals.
Learning Alliances Company has multiple, interactive modules which include (and are not limited to):
- A collaboration model that can be used within any conversation for clarity and understanding
- Understanding how styles impact teams
- Putting the team puzzle pieces together for a whole picture
- Team barriers
- Your skills/qualities within the team
- Roles within the team and how they change
- Team effectiveness traits
- Team meeting tools
Virtual teams and in-house teams have similar needs and are approached and processed differently. As a leader, you must define success for both types of teams.